A VERY WARM WELCOME VISITORS

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Part 21: VISITING THE GRAVES IS THE SUNNAH OF PROPHET [sal Allahu alayhi wasallam] AND NOT GRAVE WORSHIP!


                         





From Layman’s Desk-14.
Continued – Part 21: FAITH-ENHANCING INCIDENTS:
From all the previous posts it has been thus established that the Prophet (sal Allahu 'alayhi wasallam), his Companions, the followers of those Companions, and the followers of those followers of the Companions are all in unanimous agreement that it is permissible to ask Allah for things by the Prophet (sal Allahu 'alayhi wasallam) and by the good and pious Muslims, whether during their life or after their death. Allah continues to work the Mujizat and the Karamah even after their death.  All the scholars from among the four reputable schools, i.e.,the school of Imam Abu Hanifah, Imam ash-Shaf‘i, the school of Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, and the school of Imam Malik, concur on this issue.  As stated in Mirat al-Madina written by Ayyub Sabri Pasha (d.1308/1890), Allahu ta'ala accepts prayers for the sake of His beloved servants. Allahu ta'ala declared that He loved Muhammad (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam). Therefore, if anyone prays saying, 'Allahumma inni asaluka bijah-i Nabiyyika 'l-Mustafa,' his prayer will not be refused. But it is against adab to make an intercessor of Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) for unimportant, mundane affairs.
It is significant to remember that we reject the heresy of those who claim that the Holy Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam)is dead and gone after delivering his message or that some of the Qur’anic verses were specific to him only during his lifetime. He is alive in his grave, our greetings reach him, our actions are shown to him, he intercedes for us, and the dust of his grave is the most blessed spot on earth and no one who claims to love the Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam)approaches it without due respect and honour.  As the Sunni scholars say: It is the responsibility of every Muslim to ascertain what is correct from what is wrong, and tawassul is correct, recommended, and one of the greatest means of drawing close to Allah, first and foremost through the Prophet. This is the position of the overwhelming majority of the scholars until our own time, opposed by a handful of dissenters. Since the dissenters don’t believe that Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) – and by extension the Awliya-Allah -  are alive in their graves, they don’t believe in their Wasila and as such don’t believe in the incidents that highlight Tawassul and Istigatha but which have come to us from the Qur’an and the Sunnah, and Imams and Ulema down the ages and have been mentioned in various books,including Kitab al-Wafa,Kashf al-Wafa, Rowda,and other Islamic books and Tafsirs. Some of these we have already mentioned before in our Post. Imam Rahimahullah, student of the Muhaqqiq ibn al-Humam, writes in his Mansik Mutawassit,  and Mullah Ali Qari al-Makki writes in its commentary Maslak Mutaqassit: Indeed RasulAllah sal Allahu alayhi wasallam knows about your visit, your standing,  your greetings, your actions, your states and all your positions." Now:  

There is the famous incident concerning the visit of one of the foremost Awliya-Allah and mystics to the shrine of the Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wassallam), Hadhrat Sayyad Ahmed Rifai (reh.).  He performed Haj in 555 Hijrah and thereafter visited Madinah Munawwara.  Standing in front of the Qabr as-Saada, he recited the following couplets, the English rendering of which is as under:
“From far off to thee did I send my soul,
On my behalf to greet you in your resting place, 
Here now O Rasool-Allah is my body to greet you,
Stretch forth thy hand so that my lips may kiss you.”

The hand of the Messenger of Allah (sallal laahu alaihi wassallam) indeed stretched forth from the grave.  The Saint then kissed it in the presence of ninety thousand visitors.  This has been discussed in the Al-Hawee of Imam as-Suyuti.  According to Al-Bayaan al-Mushayyad, those who had the good fortune of seeing the hand of the Messenger of Allah (sallal laahu alaihi wassallam) at that time was Hadhrat Shaykh Muhiyuddin Abdul Qaadir Jilaani Ghousul Azam. 
Another version has it that when he was 43 years old, Hadhrat Sayyad Ahmed Rifai went on Haj.  The year was 555 Hijrah.  He did not wear the usual travelling clothes of a Sayyid (relatives of Prophet sallal laahu alaihi wassallam).  There was a certain section of Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wassallam)’s tomb in Madinah Munawwara that only blood relatives of Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wassallam) could enter.  The guard at the door did not allow him the entry as he wanted to have the proof that he was a relative of the Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wassallam).  Sayyad Ahmed Rifai was sad and he yelled in the direction of the tomb: As-salaam Alaykum Ya Jaddi (Peace be upon you my ancestor).  The Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wassallam) answered saying, “Wa Alaykum Salaam Ya Walidi (and Peace be on you my son).  The hand of the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wassallam) came out of the tomb and the Awliya-Allah  kissed the blessed hand. 
Ibn al-Jawzi (508-597 A.H.)one of the most famous of the Hanbali Imams whose lineage goes back to Hadhrat Abu Bakr ®, relates in Kitab al-Wafa (p. 818 #1536):
(al-hafiz) Abu Bakr al-Minqari said: I was with (al-hafiz) al-Tabarani and (al-hafiz) Abu al-Shaykh in the Prophet's Mosque, in some difficulty. We became very hungry. That day and the next we didn't eat. When it was time for `isha, I came to the Prophet's grave and I said: "O Messenger of Allah, we are hungry, we are hungry" (ya rasullallah al-ju` al-ju`)! Then I left. Abu al-Shaykh said to me: Sit. Either there will be food for us, or death. I slept and Abu al-Shaykh slept. al-Tabarani stayed awake, researching something. Then an `Alawi (a descendant of `Ali) came knocking at the door with two boys, each one carrying a palm-leaf basket filled with food. We sat up and ate. We thought that the children would take back the remainder but they left everything behind. When we finished, the `Alawi said: O people,did you complain to the Prophet?  I saw him in my sleep and he ordered me to bring something to you.
 
Imam al-Qastallani (1448-1517 c.e.) states in his magnificent al-Muwahib al-Laduniya (3/149):  I got so sick once that the doctors failed to provide any cure and I remained sick for many years. I sought help from Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) on 28th Jamad ul Awwal 893 AH when I came to Makkah Mukaramah, may Allah increase the status of this city and May Allah do Ihsan on me by granting me another chance of visiting it without any difficulty. I went to sleep and then a man came with a piece of paper which said: This is for the "disease of Ahmed bin Qastalani" through the "IZN-E-NABWI" and from the court of Allah. When I woke up "I TAKE AN OATH UPON ALLAH THAT I FOUND PERFECT CURE AND I GOT CURED DUE TO BLESSING OF PROPHET (PEACE BE UPON HIM)"

Musnad Ahmad, Imam Ahmad's compilation of 30,000 mostly
sound narrations from the Prophet, was held in such high reverence that it was read in the sixth century by a society of devout hadith scholars from cover to cover in fifty-six sittings before the grave of the Prophet in Madina. Where is such devotion to the Prophet found today?


Sayyida Nafisa at-Tahira was the daughter of Hassan al-Anwar, son Zaid, son of Imam Hassan the grandson of Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam).  Young Nafisa frequented the grave of her grandfather the Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) (mulazamat qabri jaddiha al-Mustafa). The People of Madina loved her deeply. She became renowned for her abstemiousness (zuhd) and piety (taqwa), for fasting the day, spending the nights in prayer and for her excessive devotion to worshipping Allah (swt). As Nafisa grew up and blossomed into meritorious and pious young woman, her righteousness and nobility attracted many suitors for marriage. Numerous men approached Hassan with marriage proposal, but each one was rejected respectfully by Hassan.  Ishaq Al Mutaman, son of Jafar As- Siddiq also approached Hassan with the same proposal. Hassan remained quiet after hearing the proposal and Ishaq felt disappointed at his silence. He immediately went to Prophet (Sal Alahu alaihi Wasallam)'s Mosque and standing near the blessed grave he respectfully said, " O Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) I asked for Nafeesa's hand in marriage but received no response. I intended only to marry her for her righteousness and nobility." After this, Ishaq returned to his house free from all worries and satisfied with whatever Allah would ordain. Hassan had a dream the same night in which he saw the Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) and was advised that he should get Nafeesa married to Ishaq.  Upon waking up, Hassan's mind was made up and he immediately asked Ishaq to come to his house.  Hassan narrated the dream to Ishaq and without delay, the marriage took place. [Imam Metawalli ash-Sha’rawi has written about her in From the Light of Ahl al-Bayt: My Spiritual Experiences Unveiled]

Ibn Hajar said in Sulayman ibn Sunayd ibn Nashwan's
Bio-graphical notice in his al-Durar al-kamina that he
performed  forty pilgrimages.  On the fortieth he was seized by fatigue and fell asleep by the side of the Noble Grave.  Thereupon he saw the Prophet who told him: "O So-and-so, how many times have you come, and you have received nothing from me?  Give me your hand."  He gave him his hand, and the Prophet wrote upon it something against fever after which, if ever he suffered from it, he would be cured by Allah's permission.  This invocation is: "I have sought refuge with a Master who never judges unjustly nor leads to other than victory. Go out, O fever,from this body, nor does pain of any sort follow this." Ajluni mentions it in Kashf al-khafa (#1175).

Abu al-Khayr al-Aqta` said: "I entered the city of Allah's Messenger and I was in material need. I stayed five days without eating anything. I came toward the grave and said Salam to the Prophet and to Abu Bakr and `Umar then said: "I am your guest tonight, O Allah's Messenger!" I then stepped aside and slept behind the Minbar. I saw the Prophet in my dream, with Abu Bakr to his Right, `Umar to his left, and `Ali in front of him. `Ali shook me and said, "Get up, Rasullullah is coming." I got up and kissed him between his eyes; he gave me a loaf of bread, I ate half of it; when I woke up I found half a loaf in my hand."
[Ibn al-Jawzi Muthir Al-Gharam Al-Sakin Ila Ashraf Al-Amakin]

Muhammad bin Munkadar says:  “A man gave my father 80 dinars as a trust while he was leaving for jihad and said: “You may spend this money if you fall in need”. Incidentally due to high cost of living, my father utilised that money. Finally its owner came and demanded back his money. My father told him to come the next day and the same night my father went to the mosque and pointing to the grave and pulpit of the Prophet (s), he implored and pleaded till the early dawn. At that moment, a man appeared from the dark and said “O Aba Muhammad take this.” He gave a purse to my father which contained 80 dinars.” [Wafa' al-wafa', vol. 2 page 1380 (Egyptian print). He has described example of these implorations till page 1385.]
Ibn al-Jallad says: “Poverty-stricken, I entered Medina and went near the grave of the Holy Prophet (s) and said: O Prophet I am your guest. Suddenly I fell asleep and saw in my dream that the Holy Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) gave bread in my hands." [Wafa’ al-wafa’ vol.2, page 1361]

The writer of Wafa' al-wafa', at the end of chapter eight, narrates many incidents which show that pleading and asking for one's need from the Holy Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) has been the constant practice of the Muslims.
Imam Bukhari said that he wrote his biographical book on the subnarrators of authentic hadith al-Tarikh al-kabir by the Prophet's graveside, under the light of the moon.  It is related by Ibn al-Jawzi in Sifat al-safwa (4:147) and al-Subki in Tabaqat al-shafi`iyya al-kubra (2:216). 

Imam Muhammad Musa ibn Numan al-Marrakushee al-Maliki (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), an Islamic scholar (d. 683/1284), has written a book in this regard under the title of Misbah al-zalam fi al-mustaghithin bi khayr al-'inam (The Illumination of Darkness concerning those who seek aid by means of Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) where he listed those who had attained their wishes by making Rasulullah(sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam) their intercessor. Briefly, Sharif Muhassir al-Qasimi (rah.) once fell asleep in front of the Tahajjud Mihrab on the Damascene [north] side of the Hujrat as-Saada. Then he suddenly stood up and came to the front of the Hujrat as-Saada. He walked back smiling. Shams ad-din Thawab, director of the servants at Masjid an-Nabi, who was by the Mihrab, asked why he had smiled. He said he had had no food in his house for a few days and had come here after saying, “Oh Rasul-Allah! I’ve been hungry,” by Hadrat Fatima's tomb. He went on, 'I fell asleep here and in my dream saw my High Ancestor give me a bowl of milk. I drank it and woke up, the bowl still in my hands. I approached the Hujrat at-Tahira to give thanks. I smiled because of the delight and flavor I felt. Here is the bowl!'

As mentioned in Advice for the Muslim, Ayyub Sabri Pasha recorded many anecdotes in Mirat al-Madina about the visits of the needy Muslims to al-Rawdah ash-Sharif of Allah’s most beloved sal Allahu ‘alayhi wasallam.  Let us check out only a few of the anecdotes below:

"Burhan ad-din Ibrahim al-Maliki (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), who passed away in 799 A.H. (1397), told about a very poor man who went to the Hujrat
as-Saada and said, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! I am hungry.' After a while, someone came and took him to his house and served him food. When the poor man said that his prayer had been accepted, the host said, 'My Brother! You left your family at home and had a long, strenuous journey to visit Rasulullah; is it appropriate to enter Rasulullah's audience for a morsel of food? You should have asked for Paradise and endless favors in that high, noble audience. Allahu ta'ala does not refuse requests there.' Those who attain the honor of visiting Rasulullah should pray for him to intercede for them on the Day of Judgement.

"Once Abu 'l-'Abbas ibn Nafis (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), who was blind, had been hungry for three days. Her went to the Hujrat as-Saada and said, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! I am hungry!' and began waiting at a corner. After a while, someone came and took him to his house. He served him food and said, 'Oh Abul-'Abbas! I dreamt of our master Rasulullah. He ordered me to give you food. Come to us whenever you are hungry!'

"Abu 'Abdullah Muhammad ibn Bar'a (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala) said that his father, Abu 'Abdullah ibn Hafif (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), who died in 371/981, and he ran out of money in Mecca. They went to Medina. Being yet a child, he wept, crying that he was hungry. His father could not stand any more and went to the Hujrat as-Saada and said, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! We are your guests tonight.' Opening his eyes, 'Rasulullah put money in my hand,' he said. Abu 'Abdullah said, 'I saw the money when he opened his hand. We spent some and also gave alms. Then we safely returned to our home in Shiraz.'

"Abu 'l-'Abbas Ahmad ibn Muhammad Wa'iz al-AndAlusi al-Sufi (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), who passed away in Egypt in 684/1284, said, 'While in the Hijaz deserts, I had no possessions left. I reached Medina. I gave salam to Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) by the Hujrat as-Saada. Then I sat somewhere and slept. Rasulullah appeared. "Have you come, Ahmad? Open your hands!" He ordered. He filled my hands with gold. I woke up. My hands were full of gold coins.'

"If, somehow, what the lovers of Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) say out of their pure heart seems unsuitable with modesty or respectfulness, one should not say anything against them but be silent. It is of modesty and respectfulness to be silent in such cases. One of the lovers used to call the adhan near the Qabr as-Saada and say that salat was better than sleep. One of the servants at Masjid an-Nabi said, 'You behave immodestly in Rasulullah's (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) presence,' and beat him. Thereupon the other man said, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! Isn't it immodesty to beat and to swear at a man in your audience?' After a while, it was seen that the one who beat him became paralyzed, lost his ability to move his hands and feet and died three days later. Hafiz Abul-Qasim 'Ali ibn 'Asakir (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), who passed away in Damascus in 571 A.H. (1176), reported this event in his book and added that Thabit ibn Ahmad al-Baghdadi (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), too, was an eye-witness.
"Ibn an-Numan narrated in his book Ibn as-Said that (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala) and his friends, having spent all their money in Medina, visited the Hujrat as-Saada, and, at the end of the visit, Hadrat Ibn as-Said said, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! We have no money left, nor have we food!' and walked backwards. At the exit of the Masjid, he met someone who took them to his house and gave them plenty of dates and money.

"Sharif Abu Muhammad 'Abd as-Salam al-Fasi (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), at the end of his three-day stay in Medina, performed two rak'as of salat at the back of the Minbar [of Masjid an-Nabi] and entreated, 'Oh my High Ancestor! I have become so hungry that I cannot stand!' After a little while, someone came carrying a tray of cooked meat, butter and bread. Although he thankfully said that one of them was enough, the person responded, 'Please eat all three! I brought them because Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) ordered so. After I had prepared food for my children, I dreamt of Rasulullah who ordered, ‘Take some to your Brother-in-Islam at the Masjid; let him eat.’
 
" 'Ali ibn Ibrahim al-Busree reported 'Abd as-Salam ibn Abi Qasim as-Sahabi (radi-Allahu ta'ala 'anh) as saying in front of the Hujrat as-Saada, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! I come from Egypt. I have been your- guest for five months. I have been starving for days. I want food from Allahu ta'ala.' Then he went aside and sat down. Someone, after greeting in front of the Hujrat as-Saada, took 'Abd as-Salam by the hand and offered him food in his tent. He ate some. Whenever he was in Medina, this man took him to his tent and offered him food.

"Once Imam Nur ad-din 'Ali ibn Ahmad as-Samhudi (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), who wrote the books Al-Wafa' and Khulasat al-Wafa' about al-Madinat al-munawwara and died in 911/1505, lost his key. At last he went to the Hujrat as-Saada and said, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! I lost my key, I can't go home!' A boy brought the key. It is written in Tareekh al-Madina by him that the boy said, 'I found this key. Is it yours?'

"Shaikh Salih 'Abd al-Qadir (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala) said, 'I had been hungry for some days in Medina. After visiting the Hujrat as-Saada, I went so far as to ask Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) for bread, meat and dates. Then I performed two rak'as of salat at the Rawdat al-Mutahhara and sat nearby. After a little while, a gentleman came and took me to his house. He offered me roasted meat, bread and dates. He said he was having qailula, a sunnat of resting for a while in the afternoon, during which he dreamt of our master Rasulullah (sal Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wasallam) who described and introduced me to him and told him to give me food.'

"Sayyid Ahmad al-Madani Effendi, a descendant of Sulaiman al-Jazuli (rahimahum-Allahu ta'ala), author of the book Dala'il al-khairat, was alive when this book Mirat al-Madina was written in 1301 A.H. He said that his father was so poor that he could not buy what his son wanted -apples, pears, dates. So, he would advice his son -to amuse him- to go and ask Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam). Therefore, he used to go to the door of the Hujrat as-Saada and ask for whatever he wished, and what he wished would be handed from inside through the Shabakat as-Saada, and he would take and eat it.

"Mustafa 'Ishqi Effendi (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala) of Kilis wrote in his history book Mawarid-i Majidiyya: 'I stayed in Mecca for twenty years. I, my wife and children, after saving sixty gold coins, emigrated to Medina in 1247 A.H. (1831). We spent all the money during the journey. We went to a friend as guests. I visited the Hujrat as-Saada and asked Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) for help. Three days later a gentleman came to the house where we were staying and said that he had rented a house for us. He paid the rent for the year. After a few months, I fell ill and stayed in bed for a month. There was nothing left to eat or sell in the house. I climbed up the stairs to the roof with my wife's help with the view of telling my trouble by turning towards Rasulullah's (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) tomb and asking for help. But when I raised my hands to pray, I felt ashamed to ask for something worldly. I couldn't say anything. I descended down to my room. The next day, someone came and said that so and so effendi sent some gold coins to me as a gift. I took the purse. Our trouble ended but my illness went on. Assisted, I went to the Hujrat as-Saada and asked Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) for relief. I got out of the Masjid and walked home without anybody's help. My illness was completely over when I entered the house. I went out with a walking stick for a few days for protection against evil eyes. Soon, the money was all spent. Leaving my wife and children in the dark, I performed the night prayer in Masjid an-Nabawi and then told Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) about my trouble. On the way back home someone I did not know approached and gave me a purse. I saw there were forty-nine gold coins each worth nine piasters. I bought candles and other needs and returned home.'

"Mustafa 'Ishqi Effendi further wrote that, when his son Muhammad Salih was yet in his swaddling-clothes, his wife became ill and was not able to suckle the child any more. Distressed, he took the baby to the Hujrat as-Saada and put it at the foot of the curtain. 'Allahumma inni asaluka wa atawajjuhu ilaika Nabiyyina wa sayyidina Muhammadin (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) Nabiyyirrahma, ya sayyidina ya Muhammad! Inni atawajjahu ila Rabbika arsil murdi'ata li-hadhal mathum,' he prayed. Early the following morning an officer named Sharif came and said, 'Sir, my three-month old daughter died. We cannot stop its mother's milk. I would like to know if anyone needs a wet-nurse.' He showed him the baby. 'We will nurse it for Allahu ta'ala's sake if you give it to us. We will bring it up well. My wife will be very glad,' the officer said and took the baby with him.”

He has written many other astonishing anecdotes on the subject all of which cannot be related here. Then:   


"A man from Istanbul stayed in Medina for seven years, where he read the book Dala'il al-khairat at the place called the Rawdat al-Mutahhara every day. Whenever he started reading the Dala'il he would notice by him an old man neatly dressed, sweet-smelling, with beard and moustache cut as prescribed by the Sunnat. When he was about to start back to Istanbul, he said in a prayer in front of the Hujrat as-Saada, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! You know that I have been reading the Dala'il from beginning to end at this holy place every day. I do not know if it was accepted. Was I not able to observe the reverence necessary while reading this blessed book?' He sat aside and soon fell asleep. He dreamt of our master Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) holding out a bowl of milk through the window of the Muwajahat as-Saada. He took and drank it. When he woke he found that sweet-smelling old man, who said, 'May it do you good, my brother,' and went away.

"Many books have been written telling and exemplifying that the prayers in which Rasulullah (sal Allahu ta'ala 'alayhi wasallam) was held as a mediator were accepted. Many wonderful events were written in Bayan-i intisar by Abu Sulaiman Dawud ash-Shadhili al-Iskandari (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), who was Maliki and who passed away in 732 A.H. (1332).
"It is written in the second volume of the translation of the book Shaqayiq-i Numaniyya that when the great Islamic scholar Mawlana Shamsaddin Muhammad Hamza al-Fanaree (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), the first Shaikh al-Islam of the Ottoman Empire and mujaddid of his time, became blind from cataracts, he one night dreamt of our master Rasulullah (sal Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam), who commanded him, 'Explain (make a tafsir of) the Sura Taha!' He replied, 'I do not have the power to explain al-Qur'an al-karim in your audience. Besides, my eyes cannot see.' Then our master Rasulullah, who is the physician of prophets, pulled out a piece of cotton from his blessed khirka and, after wetting it with his blessed saliva, put it on Molla al-Fanaree's eyes, who woke up and found the piece of cotton on his eyes, and when he took it away he began to see. He praised and thanked Allahu ta'ala. He kept the piece of cotton and willed that it should be put on his eyes after his death. His testament was fulfilled when he died in Bursa in 834 A.H. (1431).
Sayyid Samhudi Rahmatullah alaihi says that Abdullah ibn Mubarrak Rahmatullah alaihi used to perform Hajj one year and go for jihad the other year. He relates: "One year I took five hundred dinars and set out on the road to Makkah. At Kufa I stopped and went to the camel market with the intention of buying a camel. On the other side of the road I saw a dead duck. A woman came and started plucking its feathers. Seeing this I approached her and asked: ‘What are you doing dear woman?’ She replied: "Why do you inquire about things which do not concern you?’ This set me thinking, however I insisted on an answer. Then she said: ‘Your persistence has forced me to open my heart. I am a lady among the Sayyids-the family of Rasulullah (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam). I have four young daughters whose father passed away. This is now the fourth day we have not tasted a thing and are in now such dire need that eating of a dead thing has become permissible. I am taking this duck to feed my daughters.’  Abdullah ibn Mubarrak Rahmatullah alaihi says: ‘Her story filled me with sorrow. I told her to stretch forth her hand and in it I placed five hundred dinars. She took it and went home, while I postponed my intention for Hajj and returned home.  After Hajj I was so amazed that whenever I met any of the returning Hujjaj and wished them Hajj Maqbool, they would wish me the same. Then, when I said anything further they would remind me about having met me at such and such a place. I could not understand this. That night I saw a dream wherein Rasulullah (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) said to me: ‘O son of Mubarak, there is no need to be astonished. You have assisted a distressed one from among my children, whereupon I begged of Allah to appoint one Angel to perform Hajj in your form and on your behalf until Qiyyamah, and now you have a choice. You may perform Hajj or you may leave it.’"

Sufi Abu Abdullah Muhamad bin Abi Zar'aa (reh) relates "My father, Abu Abdullah bin Khafif, and I once came to Makka and in the holy city we suffered great hunger. In that destitute condition we traveled to Madina. We slept without any food on empty stomachs. I was then a mere child and repeatedly complained to my father of the great hunger that I felt. My father then went to the grave of Rasulallah (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) and after having greeted him said: "O Rasulallah (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) today I am your guest." Having said that, my father sat down in meditation. After sitting like that for a short while he lifted up his head and we saw him first crying and then laughing. Someone asked him the reason for his strange behaviour and he replied: "I have seen Rasulallah (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) and he gave me a few dirhams. When I opened my hands I found a few dirhams there."  Sufi Abu Abdullah further relates: Allah blessed us so much that with those dirhams we fulfilled our needs till we reached our hometown of Shiraz.[From Fazail Hajj, Story No. 24]
We can be sure that many of us who have visited the Holy Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) have our own astonishing experiences to share.  It would require volumes of printed material to record each and every incident of such nature. 

It may be pointed out that those who argue that once the pious have passed away they are unable to help, also include the Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam)in this reference. However, it is very strange that this does not apply to scholars whom they hold in higher esteem than Awliya-Allah and the Holy Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) as can be seen from the statement of Ibn al Qayyim.  According to him, many people saw Hafidh Ibn Taymiyyah after his death in their dreams and asked him many difficult questions on issues of juristic problems (Fiqh Masaa’il) and he replied to all their questions. Ibn Qayyim says that only those people can reject this who are ignorant of the status of the spirits (Arwah). [Kitab-ar-Ruh, end of chapter 3., Hafidh Ibn al-Qayyim]

Dear Readers, if Hafidh Ibn Taymiyya can answer  questions after passing away and solve complex fiqh issues, then why is it not possible for our Prophet Muhammad, (May Allah bless him and grant him peace), to assist his Umma? 
 
Concerning the love, compassion and tenderness of Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) Allah (swt) says: "Grievous to him is what you suffer, anxious for you, compassionate is he, merciful to the believers."  (10:128).  Allah also says about him (s): "We only sent you as a mercy to all the worlds." (21:107). 

As regards the munificence and generosity of the Holy Prophet (sal allahu alayhi wasallam), I would like to post the following hadith shareef and comments by illustrious Islamic scholars:

In Mishqaat ul-Masabih it is stated: The Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) said to Sayyidna Ka'b ®: Ask for something. Ka'b ® said: I ask for your companionship in Jannah. The Prophet said: Do you want something else? He replied: Just this, the Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) then said: help me by doing more prostrations – [Taken from (Sahih) Muslim [Mishqat ul Misabih, Volume No. 1 Page No. 156, Published by Maktaba al Mishkaat].  This hadith proves that the Sahabi asked for paradise from Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) and the Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) in return told him to ask for more!! The Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) did not say that you asked for Jannah from Ghair Ullah, hence you have become Mushrik!
Shaykh Abdul Haqq Muhadith Dehelvi (reh) writes under this hadith: The meaning of Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam)’s saying “ASK” and not restricting it to something specific proves that all things are in hands of Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) and he can grant anyone whatsoever he wishes through the grant of Allah, because the world and hereafter are his Sikhawat and the knowledge of Loh and Qalam is part of his Uloom, If you are in need of anything relating to world or hereafter then come to the Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam)  and get your need fulfilled. [Ash’at ul Lamaat, Sharah al Mishqaat, Volume No.2, Page No. 247]
Mullah Ali Qari (reh) says:  The Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) saying “ASK” refers to Allah giving him capability to grant anything from the “TREASURES OF ALLAH” [Mirqat Sharh al Mishqaat (2/615)] He also said: Imam Ibn Sabih and others have mentioned it in qualities of Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) that Allah has granted the land of Jannah to Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) so that he can grant whosoever he wishes [Mirqaat Sharh al Mishqaat (2/615)]

Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah Al-Ansari: Allah's Apostle said, "Name yourselves after me (by my name) but do not call (yourselves) by my Kuniya, for I am Al-Qasim (distributor), and I distribute among you Allah's blessings." This narration has also come on the authority of Anas (R) that the Prophet
(sal Allahu alayhi wasallam) said so."

In the words of an Islamic scholar: "Those who visit the Hujrat-Saada should be very alert and not have worldly thoughts in their hearts. They should think of Muhammad (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam's) nur and high status. Prayers of those who think of worldly affairs, of ingratiating themselves with people of high rank or of trade will not be accepted; they will not get their wishes..."

Also, "Visiting the Hujrat as-Saada is a very honorable 'ibada. It is feared that those who do not believe this may go out of Islam. As a matter of fact, they will have opposed Allahu ta'ala and His Rasul and all Muslims...."

Hafidh Ibn Taymiyya writes: Some people came to the grave of our Prophet, (May Allah bless him and grant him peace), and requested something, and their needs were fulfilled. In the like manner, the pious people can also fulfill the needs of people - and we do not deny this.
[Iqtida as Sirat al-Mustaqim, - page 373, Hafidh Ibn Taimiyya]

"I HAVE NOT PRAISED MUHAMMAD WITH MY OWN WORDS,
RATHER, MY WORDS ARE PRAISEWORTHY BECAUSE OF HIM."
                     HASSAN THABIT (r)

Continued...
NASIR.

No comments:

Post a Comment